Welcome to Downlands!
Downlands is proud to be a community school. Our aim is to work in partnership with our community to educate our youngsters to become caring, kind, active, responsible and successful citizens able to make a social, environmental and economic contribution to society. We are immensely proud of our talented students who add so much to our already successful school community. We are fortunate in our highly skilled and totally committed staff.
GCSE outcomes at Downlands have been consistently excellent over many years and we are proud of this. Achievement is consistently outstanding – every year our students make significantly better progress than similar students nationally.
However, we also celebrate an outstanding curriculum that provides students with extensive opportunities regardless of their ability. We have a holistic view of education and our extra-curricular offer allows students to explore and develop many avenues and interests.
Creative arts provision includes school productions, music concerts, art exhibitions and dance shows. Our sporting programme enables all students to take part in competitive sport. It also produces a large number of highly successful elite teams and individuals who regularly achieve regional and national recognition. We offer Duke of Edinburgh, Forest Schools, MasterChef sessions, trips and exchanges to India, China and France, local, national and international trips and a diverse range of other activities. This is a small selection of the opportunities on offer to student and we are committed to continuing to improve this offer.
The school is situated in extensive grounds with incredible views to the South Downs. We are proud of the facilities we are able to offer which include our sports hall, dance studio, 3G floodlit pitch, fitness suite, drama studio, new music suite and outdoor amphitheatre.
At Downlands, we place learning at the heart of everything we do; we are committed to community, the highest standards of care and the best outcomes possible for all.
We place learning at the heart of everything we do because learning makes the most significant difference to the progress our students make over their five years at the school.
· Teaching and Learning – encompasses the taught curriculum, assessment, pedagogy, CPD.
· Leadership – we are committed to improving leadership at all levels; world class curriculum is a pre-requisite for career development, successful participation in society and a fulfilling life
· Learning Climate – creating optimum conditions so that learning can take place in inspiring surroundings without disruption.
We are committed to community – successful engagement with our community leads to improved outcomes for our students and opening our doors to the community inspires trust.
Providing the highest standards of care, safety and wellbeing for everyone in our community are vital. We are clear that unless an individual’s needs are met they cannot learn successfully.
To be successful in an increasingly competitive workplace, it is vital to achieve the best outcomes possible for all.
In 2017, Downlands was judged as an ‘outstanding’ school by Ofsted. We have a moral imperative to continue to improve every aspect of our school for the benefit of students and our community.
Our vision is therefore to become a ‘Great’ school – to achieve this we will:
• Deliver engaging, inspiring, innovative and research informed lessons which empower and challenge all to achieve without limits.
• Establish highly effective, inspiring and self-directed leadership at all levels, focused on implementing a world class curriculum through the development of others.
• Create an inspiring environment in which all members of our community demonstrably communicate with respect, and value each other.
• Ensure that Downlands is at the heart of our community and that everyone in our locality works in partnership to improve our school.
• Achieve the best possible outcomes for ALL pupils.
We were very pleased that The 2017 Ofsted Inspection team judged Downlands as an Outstanding school. We were particularly pleased that the report reflected our ethos and the incredible work we are so proud of. For example:
• Pupils’ behaviour is exemplary. They engage enthusiastically in lessons and show respect and care for each other.
• The school makes an exemplary contribution to the community; it is a community school in action as well as in name.
• Staff cater for pupils’ needs very well. Relationships are strong and this enables pupils to thrive academically and personally.
• The academic curriculum is rigorous and challenging. It is enriched by provision for the arts and a strong programme of extra-curricular activities which further enhance pupils’ social, moral, spiritual and cultural understanding.
As one parent said, ‘I would not hesitate to recommend Downlands – the teaching is excellent, the staff really care, and my children are developing into lovely young adults.’”