Y6 Primary Transition

Dear Year 6 Parents and Carers,

I am absolutely delighted that you have accepted a place at Downlands Community School from September 2020.

We are an “outstanding” school which continues to be over-subscribed every year and, as a result, I believe that you have made a great decision in choosing us to educate your child over the next five years.

In these uncertain times, which are difficult for all of us, I just wanted to make contact to reassure you that we will endeavour to do everything that we can to make your child’s transition as smooth as possible. We pride ourselves on our pastoral care and this starts with the transition from primary to secondary school and doesn’t end until GCSEs have been completed and pupils have officially left following a “goodbye” prom at the end of year 11, with many pupils keeping in touch for years after.

I have already contacted primary school teachers for information before starting the lengthy task of placing your child in one of the eight tutor groups starting with us and will be in touch once final decisions have been made.

Usually, myself and Mrs Ridley would visit each primary school and meet all of the pupils personally, but that may not be possible this year, which is why I have included a short video of myself and Mrs Ridley so that you can put faces to our names.

Thank you again for choosing Downlands Community School and putting your trust in us and I very much look forward to meeting you all over the coming months and years.

Kind regards and stay safe.
M Whitmore
Head of Year/Achievement Leader