We are very proud of our school and are fortunate to have such a fantastic team of teachers and support staff, dedicated to providing the highest standard of education possible for our young people.
We are committed to placing learning at the heart of everything we do — we place emphasis on learning because it makes the most significant difference to the progress our students make over their 5 years at the school. The outstanding outcomes young people consistently achieve at Downlands are a result of this commitment.
We have a holistic view of education and encourage students to become involved in as many trips, clubs, activities, experiences and leadership opportunities as they can. The high expectations we have ensure that students develop a passion for learning and confidence and belief that they can succeed in anything they want to do in the future.
We are a traditional school with traditional values – we are proud of our students achievements, their conduct and their leadership. Our curriculum prepares them for their next steps whatever their abilities or interests.
Our vision for Downlands is as follows:
- To place learning at the heart of everything we do, whilst building on the foundations of care, respect, integrity, patience and understanding to create a secure, happy and enriching environment in which we are all inspired to do our best and make outstanding progress both academically and personally.
- Respect and value the environment around us, the views of all members of the community and the contributions made by every individual.
- Ensure that through innovation and creativity, our independent lifelong learners will be ready for 21st century society and the challenges it brings.
- Educate our students socially and emotionally to develop into responsible members of the community who value diversity in a local and global context.
- Challenge ourselves to exceed expectations and believe that dreams can be achieved.